Every list member has the same authoring ability as the next. We can get a quick reply or feedback on an item in just a short period of time (via email). The emails are archived for members as well, so if you miss something or want to look back, you can.
It's pretty self explanatory. You can elect to get it in email (as it is posted) or digest email version (the latter is also email, but it is one every day with all the emails of the day instead of may 20 individual emails generated that day). Below are the procedures for posting to this forum. You need to read them and understand what subject matter you can and can not post on this forum. You also need to know what your responsibilities are and what disciplinary action will be taken should you step outside the boundaries outlined. See you on the list! To become a member of the Forest Hills Neighborhood Alliance, go here.
A "list server" is a mailing
list that allows a certain group of users to send e-mail messages
to members of the group by sending the message to a single address.
The Forest Hills Neighborhood Alliance (FHNA) is providing the
"fhna-list" list server (this "list server")
for the purpose of community discussions by members of the FHNA
or those who live in the Forest Hills neighborhood or community.
As with many such interactive forums, there are guidelines governing
behavior that must be observed. BY JOINING AND/OR USING THE
FOREST HILLS NEIGHBORHOOD ALLIANCE LIST SERVER, YOU AGREE THAT
YOU HAVE READ AND WILL FOLLOW THE RULES AND GUIDELINES SET FORTH
IN THIS MESSAGE.
By joining or using this list server, you signify your agreement to all terms, conditions, and notices listed below. If you are unable to follow these rules, please do not subscribe to this list server. Or if you have already subscribed, please unsubscribe by following the procedure described at the end of this message. If you are currently subscribed and do not unsubscribe then you will be bound by the rules even if you do not post any messages to the list server.
All users are encouraged to use the following netiquette:
(6) It is not always necessary to send a reply to the entire list. Please be careful when hitting the reply button, especially if you do NOT want your reply to read by the entire list. Please make sure when hitting the reply button, that those you are repling to are on this list (see #1 about cross-posting).
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR
You are the only one responsible and liable for all activities conducted when using this list server. In order to ensure you take full responsibility, you are required to register, and post messages indicating your true name and your the email address where you read the postings.
You will also be required to place your name and email address at the bottom of each message sent, and include the subject of the post in the subject line. Please refrain from hitting the reply button and adding previous posts to your post. All of the previous posts are archived and there is no need to just keep sending them back and forth. This just adds to the storage space messages take up in the archives.
(3) Harass, stalk, or use abusive language upon another user of the list server.
(5) Promote any unlawful activity or encourage conduct that would constitute a criminal offense.
(6) Fail to fully comply with all actions required hereunder or refrain from taking any actions prohibited hereunder.Use profanity, including by use of symbols for omitted letters.
(8) Allow others to use your email address for posting messages to the list. Only messages sent by you from your registered email address are allowed.
(9) Falsify your registration information, falsify or omit your name and email address from any message.
ADDITIONAL AGREEMENTS RELATED TO THE USE OF THIS LIST SERVER
(1) You may not post or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment, or that are designed or intended to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any data or other information of any other person.
(2) You may not post advertisements, promotional materials, or any other forms of business solicitation. Subject to the following specific and exclusive exceptions:
(a) Posting are permitted offering to do work of a non-professional nature such as babysitting, house sitting, pet walking or yard care (unless you are an adult running a business for this purpose).
(b) This does not prevent a user from using a signature block which list the business by which the user is employed if that is the limit of the information provided.
In the event a user solicits information on providers of services and you are able to provide such services, you may contact that person ONLY to discuss products or services you offer; you may reply to the entire list server membership if asked.
(3) You will not make any postings for any person while under suspension or after removal from this list server. These actions were taken for a reason and that person lost their ability to post for one as well.
(4) You may post solicitations of products or services ONLY for you, and not for friends or acquaintances. Remember this is intended for the use of FHNA community.
(5) This list server is configured to disallow large files that contain photographs or otherwise take up considerable computer file space. You may post that such photographs are available and will be sent to anyone requesting copies on an individual basis. The list server will automatically hold for approval any posts that are greater in size then the set requirements established by the list administrator.
(6) You may not post any chain letters, pyramid schemes, form of lottery or gambling or investment opportunities.
(7) You may not solicit for charitable organizations. In clarification of this, you may provide information as to the time, place and cost of fund-raising events or notify that a fund-raising effort exists together with contact details to receive further information IF there is no discussion as to the worthiness of the charity or similar extraneous commentary.
(8) You may not post any content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements) or any copyrighted material for which you are not the owner of the copyright, including without limitation emails written by others and not posted by such person on this list server. You may post links to copyrighted information.
(10) You may not use any email addresses from this list server for the purpose of transmitting or facilitating transmission of unsolicited bulk electronic e-mail or communications.
(11) You may not harvest or collect information about the users of this list server.
(a) Postings are permitted as they relate to an issue that impacts directly and primarily on the Forest Hills area, such as issues that relate to the Forest Hills Park, neighborhood security or traffic flow, or to how the various governmental bodies within Forest Hills operate. In clarification of this, it is NOT permissible to post anything related to the merits or lack thereof of any particular candidate, political party, bond issue, all-city issue or religious issue.
(b) Postings are permitted announcing a meeting, rally or fund raiser IF only a time and place (and if applicable a link) is given; any extraneous comments on the merits of the activity, candidate or issue are NOT permitted.
In the event that the administrator of this list server believes that any subscriber to this list server has violated or failed to abide by the TOU set forth in the sections entitled "You are Responsible" or "Additional Agreements Related to Use of this list server," such person may be immediately suspended from the list server without warning.
Any subscriber who believes another subscriber has violated any of the TOU and has not been suspended may notify the FHNA of his or her concern.
If is it determined that the user did violate or fail to abide by the terms the following actions shall be taken:
(1) If it is a first offense by the user of any term other than those specified (in part 1; YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR), immediately following, the user shall be given a warning and upon agreement to abide by the terms in the future shall be permitted to return to the list server.
(2) In the event of a second offense within a twelve month period, a third offense regardless of the time duration, or a violation of parts (2), (3), (5), (7) or (9) of "You are Responsible" or parts (11) or (12) of "Additional Agreements Related to Use of this list server" the user shall be removed from this list server.
Any user removed from the list server may petition for reinstatement after twelve months, but the Administrator shall have sole discretion as to whether reinstatement is permitted, provided however that no person shall be reinstated if (a) such person has threatened to or brought any legal action against the FHNA or as a result of his or her use of or in any way related to this list server; or (b) falsified any registration information.
DISCLAIMER AND LEGAL CONSIDERATIONS
This list server is provided as a service of FHNA. You understand that all information, data, text, messages or other content are the sole responsibility of the person from which such content originated. FHNA accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted on this list server; all messages posted on the list server are the opinion and responsibility of the person posting the message. FHNA does not have the ability to alter, censor, or undertake any editorial control of email messages prior to transmission to the list server membership (except when list is under moderation; and then it only amounts to rejection or acceptance).
Users of the list server are admonished to consider the following:
(1) Providers of an interactive computer
service (such as Internet list server) are protected by federal
law from liability for the
(2) You are entirely responsible for all content that you post or otherwise make available via this list server. Any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are subject to applicable laws. If you are the author of, or participant in such comments or conversations, you may be held liable for any consequences.
(3) You agree that you must evaluate,
and bear all risks associated with, the use of any content provided
in messages sent via the list server, including any reliance
on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content.
You follow any advice contained therein or obtained as a result
of such messages at your own risk. The FHNA is not responsible
for any content in any message sent through the list server.
(5) By subscribing to this list server it is possible that you will be exposed to email content that is offensive or objectionable to you that is posted by other list server members.
(6) Any material downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of this list server is done at your own discretion and risk and that you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any such material.
LIMITATION ON LIABILITY
Use of this list server is at your own risk and your use of it constitutes an agreement that you will not hold FHNA liable for anything said or done on the list server. You also agree that if you do for any reason attempt to take such legal action in contravention of this agreement, then you will pay all legal fees and expenses of the persons sued, regardless of the outcome of the litigation.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL FHNA BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES WHATSOEVER ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH OR WHICH RESULT FROM THE USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE THIS LIST SERVER, OR FROM ANY INFORMATION OR STATEMENTS POSTED ON THIS LIST SERVER. THIS LIMITATION APPLIES WHETHER THE ALLEGED LIABILITY IS BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, OR ANY OTHER BASIS, EVEN IF FHNA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
The FHNA does not maintain the servers or the service through which the list server is operated. FHNA does send, receive and store messages. No representative of FHNA associated in any way with the operation of the list server shall have any obligation to store on his or her personal computer any messages sent, and you agree that any such person may disregard any request or instruction (other than a court order) to undertake any such actions on your behalf or on the behalf of any other person.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless FHNA from all liabilities, claims and expenses, including attorney's fees and and other expenses, that may arise from your use or misuse of this list server, or from the violation or failure to adhere to the terms set forth herein, or in connection with, the transmission or posting of any email to the list server.
PROCESS TO UNSUBSCRIBE
If you are currently subscribed to this list server and do not wish to abide by the terms above, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:
You will be removed automatically at that point.
DEFINITION OF FOREST HILLS NEIGHBORHOOD
The Forest Hills Neighborhood is defined as "that area in Durham, North Carolina defined as follows: Beginning at the intersection of Lakewood Avenue and Kent Street, eastward on Lakewood Avenue to Fairview, southward on Fairview to Bivens Street, eastward on Bivens Street to Hermitage Court (including both sides of Bivens), north on Arnette to Wells Street, including both sides of Arnette, along the northeast arc of Hermitage Court to Hermitage Drive (including both sides of Hermitage Court), northward on Hermitage Drive to University Drive (including both sides of Hermitage Drive), northward on University Drive (and including Forest Hills Plaza) to East Forest Hills Boulevard, eastward on East Forest Hills Boulevard to West Enterprise Street (including both sides of East Forest Hills Boulevard), eastward on West Enterprise Street to the Southern Railroad tracks (including both sides of West Enterprise Street), southward on the railroad tracks to Roxboro Street, southwest on Roxboro Street to Summit Street, northward to Summit Street to Stuart Drive, westward on Stuart Drive to Shoreham Street, northward on Shoreham Street to University Drive, eastward on University Drive to Kent Street, and northward on Kent Street to Lakewood Avenue.
By following this link to sign up for the list server, you agree to have read and abide by the rules, procedures, and methods of operation set forth in the above rules.
The registration page will say your name is optional; it is not. I can't change the word "optional" to mandatory.